Translate this blog

Friday 22 February 2013

Anegada


Anegada was so named for the number of ships it wrecked on its shores. Croix des Gardes did indeed follow tradition and skip the bottom, but only gently in an area of sand and sea grass. We found a deep spot to anchor in with at least six inches of water under the keel.
Sailing in Anegada

 The snorkelling near the anchorage was disappointing as the area south of Anegada is predominantly sea grass and sand with a handful of bommies. The renowned reef is to the north and east and not accessible by any sensible yacht. However, the white sand beaches and blue waters were a draw, and the sea front was lined with restaurants, each with their own lobster pots at the ends of their jetties.

Beachside dinner on Anegada
Triggerfish gets its come-uppance
Despite the animals difficulties, all restaurants proclaimed lobster and conch on their menus. I chose something a little more ethical – triggerfish. These blighters have caused me enough injuries whilst diving that it was about time I got my revenge. It was surprisingly meaty and tasty. I then had an apprehensive night as our guide suggests that these are “dangerous” to eat in this region due to the risks of cigatuera. The alcohol seems to have staved off the neurotoxin.

Inland, the fabled “Flamingo Pond” where greater flamingos were reintroduced drew a blank. We heard the flock had migrated to Virgin Gorda.
Flamingo Pond, Anegada, minus any flamingos

8 comments:

  1. Did the children manage to find anything edible at the restaurant - or were they put off by your meal - what big teeth u have got triggerfish - lol.love mum xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to Wiki Anegada is Spanish for "the drowned land": the name was given because it is so low. I hope you did not scrape the anri-fouling getting to your anchorage otherwise the Teredos will be feasting. Love Dad XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will have a tough time eating the iron that is at the bottom of the keel!

      Delete
  3. Necker Island might be a good place to visit. You could moor alongside Richard Branson's catemeran and enjoy the plastic palm trees. Love Dad XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could have practised my old trade of dental extractions on that Tigger fish! Water colours are exquisite. Enjoy Love H

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you managed to eat the trigger fish and for it not to have a final revenge with neurotoxin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your selection of food, the Triggerfish, and the message you want to convey. I was once like every other tourists. Just maintaining the tourist vibe and eat up anything that are marketed specifically for us. But because I enjoyed my time the VIs so much, I read about the corals and the ecosystem that depended on it, and eventually it lead me to the awareness about the coral bleaching, and then to overfishing and so on. As a result, I'm more conscious of what I eat when I'm traveling, and one day would want to have the courage to share this simple awareness with other tourists.

    ReplyDelete